For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning in a Pinch

Discussion in 'Nitro Engines and Tuned Pipes Section' started by tmail61, Jun 4, 2012.

1. tmail61

tmail61 Well-Known Member Factory Member

John Adams (one of the many guys behind the RC10GT, now with Horizon Hobby)

Tuning in a Pinch

Fine tuning in the PUNCH >> http://www.rcten.com/threads/fine-tuning-in-the-punch.18226/

Many racers find it difficult to properly tune the low speed needle. We've developed a method that makes it easy, even for beginners, to adjust the low speed needle to within 5% of peak performance and it's done right on the bench. We call it the pinch test and here's how it works.

Step 1. Start your engine and warm it up for about 30 seconds by revving the engine from idle to mid-throttle while holding the wheels off the ground.

Step 2. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds. If the low speed needle tuning is so far off that it won't idle, simply bump the idle position higher until the engine will reliably run at a higher idle.

Step 3. With the engine at idle, pinch and hold the fuel line near the carburetor, cutting off the fuel flow and carefully listen to the engine rpm.

If the low speed needle is set correctly, the engine should increase rpm only slightly and then die.

If the engine increases several hundred rpm before dying, then the low speed needle is too rich and needs to be turned in.

If the rpm doesn't increase at all and the engine simply dies, the low speed needle is set too lean and should be richened or turned out.

After doing this a few times you'll get the hang of it, and tuning the low speed needle will become easy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

I run nitro engines since 96 and I still use this trick!

3. tmail61

There is no trick like one that works, and works and works for anyone!

4. LowEndBasher

LowEndBasher Active Member

''If the low speed needle is set correctly, the engine should increase rpm only slightly and then die.'' i like to give it the old 1,2,3 count. but you got it right i cant think of a much better wat to do the loww end.

5. tmail61