For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering vs traction

Discussion in 'RC8 / RC8B / RC8.2 / RC8B3.x' started by Steven Beatty, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Steven Beatty

Steven Beatty Active Member

---------------------------------------------------
    shanef on 7/12/12: "Don't read too much into it, it's a big misconception, the car is really planted and has alot of movement both sides of neutral i.e it can be setup to have HEAPS of steering and nimble and 'hard' to drive, or it can be setup to have HEAPS of rear grip and be easy to drive.

I think that's what some people are finding. They more than likely have too much steering dialled into the car, and thus making it appear as the rear has no grip. For those people, take away steering, and focus on getting the car to rotate through the turn, it will be immensely faster.

I saw this post on another forum from an Australian AE driver called shanef on 7/12/12. He was responding to someone who was upset that AE is changing the RC8.2 with Maifield's 2012 ROAR Nats. This person said there was too much work to get the 8.2 to handle. I'm finding my 8.2 is too loose. If I back off the throttle from WOT, sometimes it will even spin 180* or more.

So my question has to do with his last sentence about taking away steering and focusing "on getting the car to rotate through the turn." He didn't provide any details for us noobs! :confused-12: Does he mean turn down the steering rate on my DX3R Pro, which actually limits how far my servo turns, left to right? Do you think he was talking about driving skills for getting it to rotate? Someone asked him but he hasn't responded yet. It's only been a few days since he posted this so he's probably racing somewhere.

2. Steven Beatty

Steven Beatty Active Member

shanef posted this reply to my question so I thought I'd answer my own question here.

"Chassis adjustments. If the car's got too much steering it'll make the rear feel loose. Try lowering the front camberlink (if ur running 3up/2up go to 2up/1 dot in the tower/plate etc), also try a thicker front swaybar or heavier spring.

If once you've done this, the car doesn't want to rotate through the turn i.e the car turns in alright, but pushes from mid-exit, play with the rear camberlink and rear shock position, this will get it to 'rotate' better."

3. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

Taking away steering can be done in many different way. What shanef said is right. Changing A and B plates inserts will also change steering