For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shaved u-brace / c-hub towers

Discussion in 'RC10 / B2 / B3 / B4.x / B5 / B5M / B6 / B6D' started by jason671, Aug 6, 2012.

1. jason671

jason671 Member

hey guys this im new here and happy to find a dedicated ae forum.
    i have been trying to run the shaved u brace and c-hub towers on my buggy but never get a good feel for it. the shaved u-brace keeps breaking. i have tried the carbon one also. is there a better alternative? does anyone run the c-hub towers without shaving the u-brace? the track i run on is indoor but a slick/powder like surface and its hard to get it hooked up.

2. Martijn

Martijn Well-Known Member

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I also run the shaved carbon U-brace and never broke it...
    You could always try to run a not shaved U-brace with the C-hubs.

Did you made a huge crash when it broke?

3. Blake Lirette

Blake Lirette Member

The brace and C hub towers are more for a high traction surface. STRC makes the brace in aluminum and I believe it is already at the "shaved" height? Then if you want to run the regular height you simply add spacers.

4. Martijn

I'm running the C hubs on a pretty slippery surface and it works really well..

5. jason671

jason671 Member

thanks for the quick reply guys. i also thought the c-hub was for high grip tracks. lowering the camberlinks raises the roll center. but it is advertised as lowering the roll center??:confused: i think i will try the aluminum u-brace this weekend. its just hard to get power down on this track. btw is anyone going to the jconcepts clash in mississippi?

6. tmail61

tmail61 Well-Known Member Factory Member

shaved u brace and c-hub towers << what are these, have pictures????

7. shagnat

shagnat Member

I too would like to know about the "shaved u brace" etc.
    TIA

8. Martijn

I'll take some pictures today ;)

9. Blake Lirette

Blake Lirette Member

It raises the roll center but lowers another aspect of the car that I can't recall the wording to right now. Post #15409 on the B4.1 thread on rctech.net has a picture of the shaved camber plate.
    http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acc...n-Fiber-Rear-Hub-Tower-AV1013-accesories.html
    You use this part, it allows you to have one piece for both A and C hub towers.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...ated-Rear-Chassis-Front-Hinge-Pin-Brace-B4-T4
    And then this piece is shaved down where it is raised for the ball studs. You want to make that area flush with the rest of the piece.
    In my experience it made the car a little less consistent at first because I feel it is a pretty big change. Once I got used to it though the buggy was faster.

10. tmail61

OK, you shave the ball stud mount area down to how AE made them when the B4/T4 was first released.

The reason the area was raised by AE, is when you would use two washers the ball stud could break off. So AE raised this area one washer height.

That was with the silver ball stud, before the GT2 with it's stronger ball studs. AE has changed to the stronger ball stud, so maybe the raised area isn't needed as much as it was.

===

I had three of the originals that had ball studs broke off in them. AE made a running change so the part numbers are the same.

===

Per Charlie Perez

The washer's on the bulkhead change the roll-center, how easy or how hard it is for the chassis to roll {lean} particularly when cornering, by increasing the height on the bulkhead you reduce the roll, by lowering it you increase the roll. Increasing roll also reduces traction while lowering it increases traction. this is the simple explanation because either will also change camber gain.

Raising the inner rear ball stud will give you less side bite and lowing it will increase side bite. Raising the inner ball stud will also give you more forward traction as you exit the corners on power.

The Camber link length and height changes the "Contact Patch" of the tire as the chassis leans through out the corner.

===

My understanding of the above.

Raise ball stud = less side bite but more forward traction as you exit the corners on power.
    Lower ball stud = more side bite but less forward traction as you exit the corners on power.

11. jason671

jason671 Member

thank you that is very helpful information. i orderd the aluminum u-brace its already shaved. good quality part. im going to try it this weekend but im just worried about breaking/bending ball studs now.

12. Blake Lirette

Blake Lirette Member

When mine was shaved, I switched back to the A hubs yesterday, the ball studs came out of the bottom far enough to unscrew them from the bottom. You can also use a dremel to make a line in the bottom so you can use a screwdriver to get them out of the bottom.

13. chase1472

chase1472 New Member

I have been running the shaved/C hubs. Seems to give a lot more rear end grip but takes away a little from front steering.

14. tmail61

Talked with some racers today, found out about shaved/ALM hubs.

You only shave the bulkhead IF you are using the Carbon tops for the ALM hub.

Reason for shaving the bulkhead >> the Carbon hub tops have lower link mounts (.030 to .060).

So you need to shave the bulkhead that amount to keep the roll centers right.

15. Gundevil-81

Gundevil-81 Member

Good info. thanks

16. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

Can you post a picture once shaved... And I'm talking about the u-brace and c hub :)

17. Martijn

I'll take one tomorrow :)

18. tmail61

Remove the raised area of the link mounts to the same level as the rest of the brace.

[​IMG]

Shave when you use these.

[​IMG]

Got these from RC Tech forum.

19. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

What with the second pic?

20. Martijn

That's the A/C hub from Avid.
    The lower hole are C the upper ones A
    They did this so you do.t have to change the whole carbon hub