For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio upgrade.

Discussion in 'Radios and Servos Section' started by LeeSc10, Jun 14, 2012.

1. LeeSc10

LeeSc10 Well-Known Member

I am wanting to upgrade from my Team Associated radio to something better. My buddy has an Airtronics MX3 I think. I like how he can control multiple vehicles with it with just buying another receive. I was wondering what are some other good ones out there for around $200-$300?

mikey likes this.
  2. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

Go with the Futaba 4PL. That's what I use and I LOVE it and receivers are cheap.

mikey and LeeSc10 like this.
  3. mikey

mikey Well-Known Member Factory Member

or you can go with the Spektrum DX3R, it sells for around $300 and it is an excellent radio. I have one and I would have never thought that a radio could actually improve my driving until I drove my buddies car equipped with it. The difference is daylight and dark, being I was kept in the dark until I bought one. It is REALLY FAST ! ! :D

4. LeeSc10

Thanks guys. I'll check them out. Anyone have any other suggestions?

mikey likes this.
  5. Martijn

Martijn Well-Known Member

I have the Spektrum DX3S
    Or you could also go for the DX2S.. that's a bit cheaper

mikey likes this.
  6. LeeSc10

Wow... There are soooo many diffrent radios to choose. :confused:

mikey likes this.
  7. AERacer

I don't know why butI never been a Spektrum fan.

mikey likes this.
  8. mikey

It's all in what you buy, some like Futaba, others may like KO and some like Spektrum.
    Personally, I never liked Spektrum, I always affiliated them with Losi and I don't like Losi so I ran Hitec radio's. Until my friend Jeff let me drive his car just after he installed it and I loved it, it was like having Jedi reflexes then I was sold. I bought my DX3R for $275 and never thought it would make me a better driver, I was wrong. I started winning races ( along with my new RC8 ) we were unstoppable together.
    A great radio will make a difference and I'll never race again without my DX3R. :D

9. AERacer

I'm on the dark side of the force then... ;)

mikey likes this.
  10. mikey

LOL ! :D

11. mikey

or Sylvain, you could be another Jedi ? :D

12. Zaphod

Zaphod Member

I have a Futaba 3PM 2.4 ghz unit. I have been happy with it for the most part though the frame rate is slow and the user interface isn't the best. It is good for up to 10 models (of which I am currently using 6). The display is on the side so you can't really look at anything when you are driving very well (but every time I try that I get to buy more parts anyway so it's not a drawback for me). The 4PL is only about $30 US more than the 3PMX (which is the new model of my 3PM) and would be a good option unless you already have a FASST system (the receivers won't work with the 4PL).
    The Spektrum radios are molded out of a cheap looking plastic which probably hurts their perception of quality. For most the DX3S has all the features you'll need if you are taking your first step into a better radio. The 3S only has a 10 model memory to the 3R's 30 models or the 3R Pro's 50 but that is likely enough for most people. The 3R has much faster frame rates (in effect this is response time) but unless you have really fast servos you won't really notice. The thing I have liked best about the DX3's I've tried is that they fit nicely in my hand and they only use four AA batteries so they are quite a bit lighter than my Futaba with 8 AAs.
    Some of my friends swear by (and sometimes at) their RadioPost TS401s which are also in that $300 US range. The Airtronics MT4 also looks interesting but I don't know anyone that has one yet.

LeeSc10 likes this.
  13. AERacer

Futaba 4PL requires only 4 AAs too

14. LeeSc10

That's some good info. Thanks Zaphod.

15. tmail61

tmail61 Well-Known Member Factory Member

Had a DX2, then a DX3.0, now have a DX2S, just used a DX3R Pro last weekend.

Wish there was a drop down for the DX2S, HEY there is >>>>DX3R Pro!!!!!

Guess you can tell I like Spek radio's.

Used a M8 a couple time it's like a brick on a stick, maybe the M11 are diff!

===

Traxxas 2.4 radio's IF you like counting beeps or is it lights, aren't bad for a first timer. IF you can stop the time from flashing on your VCR you can program a Traxxas radio! :D

mikey likes this.
  16. mikey

you tell em preacher ! LOL ! :D

17. Xbar1 {PR}

Xbar1 {PR} Member

I Love my 4PL runs perfect thinking to upgrade to a 4pks later :p but for know my 4pl its running great I upgraded from a FlySky GT3b which is not bad for the price but compare to that my FUtaba 4pl runs Great!!!!!

AERacer and mikey like this.
  18. mustang347

mustang347 Member

I got an Airtronics M11 back in 2006 with a Spektrum 2.4 module. Thought it was awesome with all the bells and whistles. But it was so big and heavy! I had to bring it in a tool box because I could not find a case that was big enough for it! I needed a neck strap for it too... Just too much. I got the Spektrum DX3R and have been very happy with it. All the features and model memory I need, compact and light weight. The DX3S was nice too (got it with a Lost RTR) but sold it because 1) it felt cheaper, 2) it only had 10 model memory and 3) I love my DX3R!!

19. JAKEY_AE

JAKEY_AE Member

The M12 just came out, have a look at one of them. Possibly the best thing in rc that you'll ever buy...

20. AERacer

What's new with the M12?