For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how did you get started?

Discussion in 'General R/C Discussion' started by fluke, Jun 3, 2012.

1. fluke

fluke Well-Known Member

For me it started before the 2000s

now a little bit of context: i live in mauritius. some of you might know it but most don't :p .Its a small island in the middle of the indian ocean. at that time i had absolutly no clue that pro rc existed, let alone nitro.

one year, i was still in high school, my dad bought me a french magazine called RCM. it was all about rc airplanes. soon after i bought a glider. still had no clue about rc cars or even clubs in my region. i live at the foot on a hill so i could glide all i want.

then one day, about 2 years before i finish high school, my dad brought me to a sport and leisure exhibit. an then it hit me. first ever contact with rc nitro aircrafts and helis but i was directly drawn towards the cars. these were some mean looking stuff (well most were smartechs but what did i know?). a toy store was also present there and behold on the shelf: Inferno 7.5 Kanai. $850 the kit. waaaaaaaay out of my league. But my dad promised me that if i work hard, he'll get me one. and he kept his promise. thing is there wasn't any rc car club around and knew nobody who could get me nitro so i did some research and made my first ever online order in the 2000: a duratrax evader st. piece of $h!t which broke down 2 days after. bought parts online and broke again. so frustrated that i threw it in the garage but i still wanted an rc. the next i got: RC10B4 Stealth the very same day tower listed it as in stock^^. bought a Trinity motor and a futaba esc together. had a blast with it, still have it, my best car ever.

1 year later my cousin was giving me a ride. on his dashboard i recognized a 1/10 rubber tire. i was like "wth where did you get that?". told me as calmly as he could "its from my mugen, i race nitro rc cars". i was like "what? where did you get it? where do you run it? where do you buy nitro?". He then took me where the nitro guys where running, in an abandoned parking lot. my eyes sparkled as i saw the 1/8th and 1/10 tearing down the tarmac. took me less than a week to get a hyper7 pcr rtr (paid $800 at that time) and start driving. we didn't have nitro fuel at that time so we had to mix our own brew. most ran 3% nitro and the lucky ones had 5%. fastest cars on the track where hyper7s and inferno7.5s most where smartech bazookas. today times have changed ;)

Some people will tell me airplane or helis are the real stuff. rc cars is for children. i tried it all. i had 2 airplanes and 2 helis. nothing beats the sight of a 1/8th nitro buggy unleashing hell in the dirt

tmail61 likes this.
  2. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

I bought my first RC in the early 90s, this was a Team Associated RC10T, I still own it. Took a RC break between 93 and 97. Bought a RC10GT in 1997 and since then it never stopped.

I always had AE cars and trucks.

3. LowEndBasher

LowEndBasher Active Member

i started out with an ol tyco or somthing it was fun . but the real fun started when a bubby came back from a job with a 1/8 nitro buggy and let me try it . well that was it for me found a shop in dothan ala, bryons i think. got a GS kit and been bashing it for 13 years till i figured that there are no parts hardly in the U.S i needed an new model and the rc8 is the one to run. i like it . dont know it well but we will do just fine in time.