For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gears plastic vs aluminum

Discussion in 'Monster GT 4.60 / 3.0 / 8.0' started by voxmagna, Aug 13, 2012.

1. voxmagna

voxmagna Well-Known Member

I drive my truck through all types of terrain and plan on replacing the engine with something a bit more powerful. Need something that will hold up against sand, should i keep the spur plastic or go alloy?

mikey likes this.
  2. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

Stay with plastic spur gear. I only stripped one in 2-3 years of racing on my MGT with a Picco .28 engine.

The plastic gear will protect your tranny.

mikey likes this.
  3. Team COG

Team COG Member

What is the rule for changing clutch shoes?? Is it every season, or does it vary on how much run time, or is there a way you can identify worn clutch shoes without ripping it all apart and visually inspecting them?

4. AERacer

If you feel your truck slips when accelerating

Remove the clutch belll and look at your shoes for significant wear, they usually tend to wear in the middle.

Always change springs when replacing the shoes

5. Team COG

Team COG Member

Thanks for the tip. I probably would have forgotten about the springs. I was not sure if it was something that needed to replaced every season, I read somewhere to replace gas lines every season no matter how clean or dirty. Also would I be able to install aluminum shoes on the 4.6? What are the benefits if any?

6. voxmagna

I usally end up changing both shoes and bell.
    Dont like putting news shoes on a old bell thats scared on the inside, but thats just me.

7. AERacer

The MGT has a vented flywheel that helps to keep engine cooler but I'm sure it also helps to keep the clutch bell a little more clean.

Yes, change springs but also clutch bell bearings ! As for the frequency, I would say simply change them when needed , when you can feel a "slipping" when accelerating.

I usually keep my clutch bell long enough, I use sand paper to clean inside the bell where the shoes rub.

As for the aluminum shoes, I guess you can find some aftermarket shoes for it. Maybe the RC8 shoes would fit I don't know. Aluminum shoes have more grip that regular shoes. I never raced my MGT with alu clutch shoes, always the stock ones.

Yes, it is a good idea to replace fuel lines, specially after long storage because fuel residue stay in the line and can block the lines. Kind of similar to cholesterol in heart arteries ;)

8. Team COG

Team COG Member

Good thinking. I'll keep that in mind. Do you have any recommendations as far as gearing? Should I stay with stock gearing or change. I just bash around but I have to keep up with an MGT 8.0!!

9. Team COG

Team COG Member

Good idea, unfortunately I contacted Team Associated and the aluminum shoes will not fit the MGT. the shoes and clutch bell are larger on the RC8, so it would not work if you changed everything-flywheel, shoes, bell, etc. they did tell me there is an international seller on eBay that has aluminum shoes for the MGT, and I think shipping to US is only $6.00, I think the seller name is rc damper. I read somewhere that Mugen aluminum shoes can be used, not sure. Another option is to get the Buku Power clutch, it can be adjusted without removing the bell, looks cool.

10. AERacer

I would give a try to the EBay shoes first

11. voxmagna

Dynamite Max-Life Aluminum Clutch Shoes with mugen 1.1 spings make a very good combo.