For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From 30% to 20%

Discussion in 'Nitro Engines and Tuned Pipes Section' started by AERacer, Jun 18, 2012.

1. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

I'm seriously thinking to switch from 30% to 20%. Anyone experienced it before? What have been your conclusions?

mikey likes this.
  2. mikey

mikey Well-Known Member Factory Member

well you will get more life out of your motor, that's for sure, the throttle won't be as crisp but I think you are on to something here. I used to run O'Donnell 20% Race blend and I never had to do anything to the motor, absolutely nothing. Then I switched to running 30% Sidewinder and every fuel bottle (500cc) I would have to re tune it. So back to 20% I went and run it for years, then I buy 30% Sidewinder again thinking that after 3-4 years it would be OK and boom ! I have to re tune the motor about ever other fuel bottle. So I bought O'Donnell Speed Blend 30% and the same thing happened, re-tune every other bottle.
    Now my GT2 loves the O'Donnell Speed Blend, I haven't had to tune that engine at all and it's had several tanks though it.
    I'm thinking that may be the best way to go for me as well, going back to 20%. Personally I think 30% should be run by professionals and no I'm not a pro, but I do like having the advantage the 30% gives me on the track. It's slight but you can tell the difference between 20% and 30%.
    I think I will try Werks 30% and see if I have the same problem I have had with Sidewinder and O'Donnell, if I do then it's back to 20% for me as well. But if not, then Werks 30% it is for me...:D

3. mikey

mikey Well-Known Member Factory Member

The Werks 30% fuel is the way to go, I don't have to re tune my motor at all. I've ran a gallon and a 1/3 and it still holds a tune. Thank you Clockworks Racing Engines for suggesting Werks fuel, you all saved me a whole lot of tuning...:thumbsup:

4. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

I went back to my preferred fuel... Byron G2 30%

mikey likes this.
  5. LowEndBasher

LowEndBasher Active Member

i use morgen sidewinder for years with no probs. but it seems a lot of folks have issues with it like i posted that i got a .21 that i been running for 13 years with the same piston and liner and has always burned the sidewinder 20/12. now i have put 2 sets of bearings in it and its now got cearmic in it . i try to keep my temps at 225 for everyday running but if someone is having a good day on me i'll lean to 300 . fuel and parts are hard for me due to the closest hobby shop is 45 miles away and thay never got anything i need when i call about somthing. morgen is 40 miles so i just go and get a case when needed. the sidewinder has served me well. also i only use fox #8 plugs that combo has give me good running and long life. i think if you stick with a fuel/plug combo that works and learn to tweek for it you'll do fine.

mikey likes this.