For only 9.99$/year you can upgrade your account to RCTen Factory Team Member. Click for all benefits.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Associated Fuel Tank problems...

Discussion in 'RC8 / RC8B / RC8.2 / RC8B3.x' started by mikey, Jun 3, 2012.

1. mikey

mikey Well-Known Member Factory Member

I was wondering IF Assoc. can make a fuel tank that has no air bubbles in the fuel line. It baffles me that after what, 6 years, they could make a good fuel tank. What's the problem Associated ? WE NEED A GOOD FUEL TANK !
    When I bought my first RC8 Factory Team it was already assembled but the fuel tank problem cost me a modified Axe Rossi Cobra ( around $550-$600) . Then buy another tank and it was OK for a couple of months ( not sure ) then it went bad, bought another tank and it was great. It lasted until I bought an updated RC8.2 Factory Team and I had to build EVERYTHING, sorry but you would think that the third version of a model wouldn't shouldn't ain't happening that the fuel tank is 100%, wrong !
    I discovered that low and behold that air bubbles are in the fuel line ! Come on Associated, you need to address this problem NOW ! I love ya but this should not have happened.

2. JFUEL11

JFUEL11 Member

I have not had any fuel tank issues yet... Been really happy with my 8.2 tanks. But I will say they are both only 2 month old with about 1.5 - 2 gallons on them so we will so how they hold up over the next few gallons. Does you lid flip closed tightly? Sometimes I will use just a little bit of diff lube on the o-ring on the lid so it will slip all the way closed easily and the diff lube helps create a better seal at all times... Just a very light coating will do.

Good Luck

mikey likes this.
  3. fluke

fluke Well-Known Member

weirdly enough the rc8.2 is the only tank with which i had 0 problems. so tight that i sometimes lift the car while opening it. i did lube the ring with castor oil (figured that diff oil might harm the engine)

mikey likes this.
  4. JFUEL11

JFUEL11 Member

Caster Oil is a great options... I use such a light coating of diff lub that it would not really be enought to harm anything... but caster oil... great info!

mikey likes this.
  5. mikey

No I haven't tried diff/caster oil around the opening, my lid closes strong but I will lube the oil ring.
    Thanks guys

6. mikey

I tried that and it still has bubbles in the fuel line, I think it's about time to contact Associated and get a new tank...:(

7. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

have you tried to contact Team Associated?

mikey likes this.
  8. mikey

I'm going to tomorrow, I already have the fax sheet filled out and ready to fax. I will let you know how it goes. ;)

9. AERacer

Team Associated's support is the best!

mikey likes this.
  10. mikey

Let's hope so...;)

11. ABN Hoosier

ABN Hoosier Well-Known Member

I was having "bubbles" in my fuel line also. I did the underwater check on all components (tank/lines/everything), no leaks. I talked to Monty Houston on the Novarossi thread and he suggested to shorten my line. I told him I had the lines routed exactly like in the RC8 manuals. My fuel line was almost 15 inches long. The exhaust nipple on your pipe pressurizes your tank and the longer the line the weaker it is. I shortened the fuel line and they went away. My fuel line is now 8 inches and my idle and tune are spot on now.

mikey likes this.
  12. AERacer

I have no bubble but I'll pay very close attention and shorten pressure line

mikey likes this.
  13. ABN Hoosier

ABN Hoosier Well-Known Member

I left the pressure line alone, it was the fuel line length that I decreased. Sorry if I made that confusing.

mikey likes this.
  14. AERacer

Gonna check the fuel line then :)

mikey likes this.
  15. Deserteagle

Deserteagle New Member

I've had the same headache along with many. I run a SC8 with a roll cage and still have all kind of problems. My last one was cracked when I received it and it was the white version. I'm on my 5th tank and the guys I run with have also had to buy multiple ones.

Check the pickup inside the tank. This is usually the problem if you have already dunked the tank and lines and blew through them and found nothing. How to check it is simple, take the pin out of the flip top cap and remove the cap. Next fill the tank half way with water then blow though the fuel line. If you see bubble coming out of the bottom of the pickup then it's fine. If you don't see the amount of bubbles you should see then the leak is further up the pickup so tilt the tank so the water covers most of the pickup line then blow air though the line. If you see bubbles on the top of the pickup line that is your problem. This is very common at our track.

Who ever the contractor for the tanks is, suck at testing before they send them out. The whole process needs to be redone. These tanks are responsible for 2 motors at our track so far.

mikey likes this.
  16. Deserteagle

Deserteagle New Member

This is a video of what I'm talking about

mikey likes this.
  17. Farmer_John

Farmer_John New Member

Here's a tip for fixing leaky RC8 tanks. Replace it with a HB D8 tank. Nearly a drop in and I'm pretty sure uses a clunk, instead of that little well thingie ASC has used forever...plus it's half the price.

mikey likes this.
  18. william noble

william noble Well-Known Member Factory Member

back when i had a rc8 the tank gave me a few problems also but i went over the seams with silicon sealant just to seal the 2 part tank and that solved my problems .just try to find out where the air in entering line from and solve the issue,i found mine by doing an air test in a tub of water

mikey likes this.
  19. AERacer

Mikey, when I saw this fuel tank, I thought you would like it... This is the Mugen MBX7 fuel tank and from what we can see, it might fit the RC8.2 easily...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mikey likes this.
  20. KSBeebe

KSBeebe Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why AE doesn't use a clunk. The way I drive, my RC8 spends a lot of time upside down :rolleyes:. A clunk would sure make it easier to keep the motor running. All my RC aircraft have clunks in their fuel tanks (for obvious reasons). I've toyed with the idea of modifying an RC8 tank to use a clunk.

mikey likes this.