1. Welcome to RCTen - Team Associated Forum. We are an online community dedicated to Team Associated and Reedy products. Please, take few seconds to register and join the #1 Team Associated community on the web.

Facebook user? Click to sign up with your Facebook account

New SC10 GT Owner (HELP)

Discussion in 'SC10GT' started by wal66, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Martijn

Martijn Well-Known Member

Is it easy to pull at the pullstarter?
    Otherwise loosen to glowplug a little bit and try to start it. When it fires up. Tighten the glowplug again. We did this with our LRP motors in our savage.

Thats why I almost only run electric. There is always something with these things ;)
    mikey likes this.
  2. wal66

wal66 Member Factory Member

Martijn, it pulls easy enough, not too easy like no compression but easy enough. I will give that a try anyways just because at this point I'm trying everything so thanks.

Also, after yesterday there is something to be said for the electric as far as getting started. When both are running though my inner-grunter gets overjoyed at the sound of an actual fuel consuming engine. I have to give the electric props with amazing (and SCARY) speed.
    mikey likes this.
  3. wal66

Oh and props to my local HobbyTown. The day before when I was so disappointed with them I was dealing with an employee and he was obviously stressed. Yesterday I dealt with the owner and the guy went above and beyond.
    mikey likes this.
  4. mikey

mikey Well-Known Member Factory Member

Top Poster Of Month

you should like the SC10RS and by all means don't get discouraged over the SC10GT, you will have it figured out given a little time.
    take the SC10RS to the track Friday night and enjoy yourself, you don't have to run it wide open all the time. Take my advise and go racing, you'll love it and so what if you are new to the sport, expect a lot of help from your new friends that you make at the track. This advise is free, just drive your SC10RS at 1/5 to 1/3 throttle all the time and you shouldn't wreck, that gives you valuable lap times... :thumbsup:
    As for the SC10GT it ran fine at the hobby shop and then when you get home it won't run ? Try another glow plug and also are you starting it with the pull cord or are you using a starter box ? I highly recommend the starter box if you haven't got one, so much easier using the starter box...
  5. wal66

Good news to report, the GT has life.

Turned out to be the glow plug ignighter. I was using the supplied ignighter and it wasn't getting the plug hot enough after a day on the battery. I changed the battery and VAVOOM. I also bought a rechargeable ignighter that was still in the package and after charging that one there is so much difference when using it versus the standard D-cell one.

SO I am finally broke-in and running.

Now I on my way back to the hobby shop to buy new front A-arms and knuckles to replace the ones on the SC10 RS cause the guy at work who is so into these things (same guy who "knew" how to adjust the carb) ran it straight into a concrete post at lunchtime.

My fault though, I knew when I allowed everyone to have a turn with the electric one it was a better than average chance something would happen.

But MAN OH MAN, they both are way cool. My heart is already lost to gas/nitro over electric though. For me just way more awesomeness.
    mikey likes this.
  6. Martijn

Good to hear that its running.
    Like Mike said. Look around if there is a race tack in your area. And just practice, practice and practice. And the driving skills will come ;)
    mikey likes this.
  7. wal66

Yep yep, already on it. The City of Ocala built a track at one of their sports complex's. The track is open 7 days a week and fully lit at night. It's occasionally holds ROAR events but locally every Friday night they run races with several classes, one of which is a novice (that's me) class. I live 45 minutes away in Gainesville so I won't be there everyday but I do plan on starting the Friday night deal at least. Plus we golf in Ocala every other Sunday so I'll be taking my trucks with me and after golf heading over as well.

I've put the GT through 3 tanks of breaking in to complete 6 full tanks and then another 4 tanks of FUN TIME today. You guys may wanna buy stock in fuel cause I'll be doing my part to bring you some profits.
    mikey likes this.
  8. wal66

While at the hobby shop I also ordered the 150 ml tank.
    mikey likes this.
  9. tmail61

tmail61 Well-Known Member Factory Member

Newred in Ocala races Sat's but they are electric only, it's indoor so rain doesn't stop a race. Have raced there before and the track is SWEEEEET!

They can be seen on LiveRC on Sat's also.
    mikey and wal66 like this.
  10. wal66

sounds

I will check them out, thanks.
    mikey likes this.
  11. wal66

I'm not racing the GT yet so I still have the engine running rich. From what I have researched this won't hurt and may even prolong the life of the engine, right?

I wasn't gonna worry about tuning till I got more experienced in just driving. It has strong top end as it is right now just a wee bit sluggish off the line which doesn't bother me since I'm not racing.
    mikey likes this.
  12. Martijn

No just dont richen it too much cuz it wont start anymore ;)
    mikey likes this.
  13. wal66

Will do.

It's pretty good right now, fires up on the first pull. This morning was 45 degrees and it still fired up on the second pull. So I guess I don't have it too overly rich. Top end is more than I need it to be right now and actually once the engine is good and warm the starts aren't too sluggish. It's not race ready but then again, neither am I.
    mikey likes this.
  14. Martijn

Yea, I ran my Savage also rich (engine broke :'( )...
    Just take your time to know your truck, and practice.
    Drive your truck at your house, on a dirt road, track. That's what I did when I started.
    And first year I was 3th in rookie class. I was to only one driving a 2wd buggy..
    mikey likes this.
  15. mikey

Top Poster Of Month

take Martijn's advice and go racing ! You will LOVE IT ! go tonight...
  16. wal66

Question:

I guess it may vary depending on type, size and modification of engine as well as how lean or rich you are running your fuel but is there a general rule of thumb as to how long you can hold the trigger down?

I start out warming my truck up and once the engine is warm I'll open it up but the longest I'll have it wide open is about 50 yards. I was doing this without any reasoning behind it but yesterday I was talking with a guy who had converted most of his gas powered vehicles to electric ( a sin or should be ) and one of the reasons he gave was because you burn pistons by hammering the engine wide open.

I don't want to wimp my GT out but I also don't want to damage it recklessly either.
    mikey likes this.
  17. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

If you hold your engine wide open for many seconds you'll destroy it for sure. I usually never keep it wide open for more than 2-3 seconds in the long straights.

That's why it is always a good idea to run a little on the rich side.
    mikey likes this.
  18. wal66

Went to the baseball field this morning to run the trucks on the freshly drug infield. Wanted to get some practice jumping on something that would be similar to what I will find at the track. The pitchers mound seemed like a good idea, subtle yet just large enough I could get an idea of how to handle it. Sounds silly to experienced RC'ers I guess but seemed practical to me.

Started out with the RS and it was ok, only flipped it once and then it went smoothly. Then I got the GT out and immediately I noticed it appeared a little more stable and landed more evenly. Really enjoyed how the progression was going until the last one. I goosed it a little harder and the truck started a nosedive but at an awkward angle to where it landed more on it's right front wheel and the wheel went flying. It snapped the axle right at the hex nut pin.

BACK TO THE HOBBY SHOP!

The guy said he had actually never seen one snap in that exact spot before but I'm pretty sure he was telling me that more for my benefit than anything. Luckily they had an upgraded part but unfortunately since I was already there I might as well get some more stuff.

Bought a Ford Raptor and a Chevy Silverado short course body and a bunch of paint. I'm fairly certain without ever doing it before that I can't paint but what the heck, might as well experience everything.

Anyway after golf I came home and set up shop and did my first official repair. As upset with myself as I was when I broke my truck I was even more joyful when I got done fixing it.
    mikey and Martijn like this.
  19. mikey

Top Poster Of Month

hey wal66, which fuel are you using with the SC10GT ? what % do you run ? 10%, 20%, 25%, 30% ?
  20. wal66

Mikey I'm running VP Power Master 20%. Still very rich cause aside from visible fuel on the shell as well as the ground, I am only getting roughly 5-minutes runtime. Little nervous about adjusting the screws cause of what the guy at work did to my carb during the break in phase. The high side needle isn't a problem but the low end is the one that screwed everything up last time.

Still waiting on that 150 tank to come in also.