1. Welcome to RCTen - Team Associated Forum. We are an online community dedicated to Team Associated and Reedy products. Please, take few seconds to register and join the #1 Team Associated community on the web.

Facebook user? Click to sign up with your Facebook account

Mikes RC10 gold pan A stamp refurbishment

Discussion in 'RC10 / B2 / B3 / B4.x / C4.2 / B5 / B5M' started by artfull dodger, Apr 2, 2013.

1. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

Since we will probably never see TA rerun the gold pan style buggies, I am going to refurbish mine in honor of thier upcoming 30th aniv and cause I am reliving my childhood again. My RC10 will get run and see some track time on open practice days when the track isnt real busy. This is to lessen the chance of a collision and damage to the buggy. I have a pro painted box art OEM body and wing on its way as this is the way my childhood RC10 was painted for me. I have the red/white body you see in my avatar as well. The upgrades I have planned are working offroad lights. My childhood buggy had its lights modified to light up. I just dont remember how I did it back then. Whether I used the OEM lights and opened up the light buckets and put light bulbs in them or bought something aftermarket. For this version, I am thinking of using the light set you can get from Axial and just leaving the grill guards off the lamps. I would paint the rear of the housings chrome to simulate the typical KC Daylighters used back in the 80's on sand buggies. But I am still looking for other lights that look like the Daylighters, espicaly alloy lights with a clear lense and proper reflector. Need 4 of them obviously. I will also add rear tail lights. Motor is the original TA off road stock motor, Futaba Magnum Jr 75mhz radio, Futaba ESC and either Nicad or NiMH 6 cell batteries. Tires are TA knobby on the rear and TA ribbed on the front. I also have a set of spiked rears, criss/cross tread street rears both on rims and knobby fronts on rims. I am upgrading to a vintage RPM steering rack after breaking one side of the OEM set up. My servo already has its own servo saver. A member on another RC1o forum has donated a stock white bumper to the cause since my 40yr old reflexes are not what they were at 12! Then when I clip that tree again, maybe the steering will survive! I am hunting the OEM rear white bumper since my wife likes to be a smart arse and try to spin me out. This is a total blast from the past. With the RC10 I was given, I got its original box, a mint in the box Tekin BC100 charger, a lightly used Pro-Ace fast charger in its box both have their original instructions and the Tekin came with a decal sheet. Great vintage decals for the car! My wife is looking at getting something this month for offroad fun. She has a huge 1:6th scale Jeff Gorden Nascar she runs but she is ready for something more into the hobby truck wise. I am also considering getting a repro body and having it also painted into the box art colors so my OEM body can just be on the car when its in the display case. Then if some whipper snapper wants to try and run me during a practice, I can show him/her what a RC10 is made of! If anybody has any vintage TA stuff that needs a new home, please PM me. I had all kinds of stuff hung in my room as a kid and most all of my gear back then was TA. I had TA and Tekin chargers, banners and ads hung in my room ect. As soon as I hit the magic post number, I will put up some pics! Cheers Mike and Michele T
  2. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

I do have one more question, where can I put a master power switch in the system. There is no way to isolate the battery when I am done running other than unplugging the battery which requires body removal. I dont remember what the amps are going between the battery and the ESC or if there is somewhere else I can put an inline small slide/toggle switch to kill power to the reciever and not drain the battery. The reciever has a BEC circuit so there is no seperate batt pack for it. Thanks Mike
  3. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

Is there an on/off switch on your esc?
  4. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

Not that I see, I wish it had one. The ESC is a Futaba MC 111B. Mike
  5. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

Here are some better shots of the car and my vintage chargers I was given. This body was painted by my friend Steve 25 years ago, he never painted the wing. I added the decals, he never even put decals on it either. Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. AERacer

I think you don't have any other choice than unplugging the battery

Your RC10 looks really clean.

I wonder if Kokomo Hobby still opens... ;)
  7. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

I wish. I know the owner is still around works at the local Chrysler factory. I dont remember what yet Kokomo Hobby & Raceway closed. I remember they had an indoor dirt and carpet track. I used to race up there with my buddies back in the late 80's when they were on Sycamore St near Delco Park. I ran an RC10, my friend and his brother ran a Grasshopper and a Hornet, both from Tamyia. Those were the days! The friend I got the RC10 from that I have now, has a Composite Craft Lynx carpet car he bought in 1988. The local shop is building him new batteries for it(has split pack set up) and painting the original body for him. Localy we only have Tolin's for RC stuff, otherwise its down to Indianpolis or Lafayette for RC stuff or tracks. We need a local track here in town again. My wife and I plan to build a small track where our garden has been in the past. Need to locate some fill dirt so I can build some berms. Here are pics of the boxes for the RC10 and the Futaba radio system. They are mounted to the wall now for all to enjoy. Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

Got one pair of working off road lights, put them on the old body. They are quite large, remind me of the old Cibie Super Oscar lights more than the typical 6" KC Daylighters. Would love to find a similar light but smaller. But these do have the old school look. Not sure if I will put them on the box art body when it comes or not. I may but probably wont decide till then. They look great. I also have a single rear facing red LED tail light. Running my street tires right now as well. Cheers Mike
    [​IMG]
  9. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

New pics, finaly got my professionaly painted box art body from Luis, who hails from Spain. Spent the morning trimming and fitting the body, not my strongest atribute but it came out pretty darn nice IMHO. This body is mostly for display and some light running when there is no chance of damage from a crash or being crashed into. Cheers Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMW8N4U and Voltage_Drop like this.
  10. AERacer

Looks awesome ! Are the wing and body original?
  11. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

Yes, he uses OEM associated bodies and wings, repro decals and his own custom mix paint. Even the lights are original associated. Cost me enough, around $170 shipped to me. But this is how my car looked when new back as a kid, so that is what I wanted and the painter that did them localy back then is long gone. Mike
  12. AERacer

This is art ! Don't run this body!
  13. Voltage_Drop

Voltage_Drop Member Factory Member

That is a nice RC10, I would love to build something I had as a kid. Reminiscing on yesterday, those were the good days :frown:
  14. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

Oh trust me, the only "runing" this body would see is some slow to medium speed on flat surfaces with ZERO chance of rolling over, flipping or being crashed into. Spent to much $$ on this body to get it messed up. With all the lights, open windows ect, definatly dont want to end up upside down! Need one of those nice display stands on fleabay for it now! Mike
  15. AERacer

I have a Edinger RC10 with a so-so body and I don't run it at all.... LOL
  16. artfull dodger

artfull dodger Member

I look at it this way, I used to see these muscle cars at shows, so clean, chrome drive shafts, undersides so clean you could eat your dinner off it. They even would push the car to the trailer, then winch it inside. The car hauler alone worth more than my house. If I am going to put that kind of $$ into something, I am damn well gonna drive/run it a little bit to enjoy the $$ spent. An RC 10 sitting on a shelf is just a total waste of money to me. Now I am not going to go out and race, jump or otherwise put that body in danger. The pan is scratched up so I dont mind running it at all, but I will swap the red/white body back on before running with others. Like real cars, RC cars are ment to be run, to be played with. I am sure some guys just enjoy looking at them under glass or on the shelf and thats fine. But to me that is a total waste of my money, if I cant run the car/drive the car then I see no point in me owning it. I have model trains older and worth way more $$ than any RC 10 you can show me, even the prototype if it were to come up for sale. And I run them, carefull, but I do get them out on special occasions and put them thru their paces. Same for my RC10, she will get excellent care, but I will run her and run with that body from time to time. Cheers Mike
  17. IMW8N4U

IMW8N4U New Member

I have a lot of parts for you if you need any thing at all. RPM stuff A and L??? 2.25 new transmissions ... Really I have what ever you are looking for that is vintage and a lot of it is NIP .... You may message me if you are looking for something in particular or looking for vendors to help you through a non RE POP Build.
  18. IMW8N4U

IMW8N4U New Member

I have a close friend in spain that does work like this. Is this from Spain? I am thinking it is since he is the only person that uses this driver when he sells his art work.
  19. AERacer

You should send a picture to AE throwback Thursday :)
  20. IMW8N4U

IMW8N4U New Member

it would be my honor to have my cars on AE Throwback Thursday board. I think that I am to send the pics to facebook? Do you know the email? I have tried to send once and they never put it up. All my vintage cars are new from box never ran and I am the only owner of them all. However this time I have personally custom painted my cars and they look sweet. Does this board have a members photo for our Profile? I would love to share them with everyone.