1. Welcome to RCTen.com, a friendly place where you can exchange with others Team Associated fans. We are a community totally dedicated to give you the best support for all your Team Associated, Reedy and XP products!!!
    Get the best out of your car or truck and JOIN US today. IT'S FREE and it only takes few seconds!

B5 Mid or rear motor? and why

Discussion in 'RC10 / B2 / B3 / B4.x / C4.2 / B5 / B5M' started by ctrenks, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ctrenks

ctrenks Member

Looking at getting back into 2wd as well but looking at the two options I would like some input. I asume a mid motor car will rotate better in tight courses but why would you go for a rear motor?

2. B3Master

B3Master Member

It depends mainly on the track's traction.

High traction mid motor because you can utilize the mid weight and carry that speed in the corners with more centered and lower center of gravity. Onroad racing with jumps.

Less traction you need the rear weight of the motor to help rear traction through corners.

3. waffleNchicken

waffleNchicken Active Member

Yup. The mid motor cars on offroad, dirt tracks still aren't performing as well as the rear motor version. Unless its very high bite. This is as of now....give it time, the pro's will figure out how to make the mid better on dirt.

I guess it all depends on how you will be racing it.

4. B3Master

B3Master Member

Schumacher had mid motor for a while, they would have found a way to make mid motor beat rear motor in mid to low bite tracks. Maybe thats why they havent yet, they dont have mid and low bite tracks in eu and uk.

I do believe getting rid of the pendilum effect of rm should help getting in and out of the corner better but maybe not too realistic, probably will end up drifting.

5. AERacer

AERacer Administrator Staff Member Moderator Factory Member

So far, racers say mid is for high traction tracks sand rear is for low traction tracks.

I'm one who believe the mid will work very good on our "not so hard packed medium size track".

Mid will rotate better with less front/rear weight transfer which will be good for me

6. Chuck M.

Chuck M. Member

Even if your local track or driving style doesn't justify a mid-motor car, I think the majority of people will run them because (1) drivers are convinced they will be able to make it work on any track, (2) it's the new and cool thing to have, (3) nobody will admit they bought one, but shouldn't have.

7. mbpenny

mbpenny Member Factory Member

Um, may have a good point. Either way its going to be a good year for 2wd buggies. Their is so many kits that are performing well it's got to the point of witch one to buy. It's no longer just Associated and Losi anymore. as far as I'm concern my b4.2 still has a lot of potential .

Chuck M. likes this.
  8. Chuck M.

Chuck M. Member

I'm not a big fan of adding weight to a car, but I can see how adding weight to the back of a B5m (and a few other setup changes) would make it so the average 2wd buggy driver could use a mid-motor car on any track surface. Also, is the average racer going to buy 2 different cars to run one class? ~ Time will tell.

9. Chuck M.

Chuck M. Member

I agree... It's going to be a GREAT year for 2wd buggy!

10. mbpenny

I say JConcepts needs to design a 2wd buggy ;)

11. Chuck M.

Chuck M. Member

They actually sell a few kits.... I'd like to see a mid-motor conversion kit by them. That way I can extend the life of my B4.2's and easily get parts. The Centro kit is nice, but it's tough getting replacement parts for them.

12. tmail61

tmail61 Well-Known Member Factory Member

"is the average racer going to buy 2 different cars to run one class?"

Have a T4 with .2 upgrades and a GT2-E with .2 upgrades to race in ST class.

Driving a rm compared to a mm is some what like comparing a 2wd to a 4wd, they drive different on parts of a track, the same on other parts of a track.

I'll burn a set of hole shots off the back of the GT2-E in a 6 minute main and my team partner will just scuff them in a 6 minute main.

13. AERacer

Having the weight in the center of the chassis doesn't make ot more neutral? So I believe this advantage is an excellent buying argument for me.

14. Chuck M.

Chuck M. Member

If money wasn't an issue, I'm sure everybody would buy both versions of the B5, but I think that if it comes down to having 2 cars to run 1 class OR having 2 cars to run 2 classes the average RC racer is going with option #2. In the end, I'm probably going to be proved wrong because I'm constantly amazed by how much money people spend in this hobby (lol).

15. B3Master

B3Master Member

Im sorry but im gonna have to say this: yall already have a rear motor buggy with tons of options so do this, place the rear hubs all way back pushing the center or gravity forward, then put the battery all way forward, then try and use the smallest spur and pinion to push the motor forward. Now try that on a mid traction track. while your at it raise the rear drop the front. Thats your rear motor Extremly aggresive and difficult to drive and center of gravity as close to mid motor as possible. If rear motor is difficult, what would a mm feel like!?

16. AERacer

There is a setup for C4,2 on low/med traction track.

If it works on a C4.2, there is no reason for not being able to find a similar setup for B5M

17. Chuck M.

Chuck M. Member

I know a local Tekin factory driver and he's 100% convinced that his C4.2 is faster than his old B4.2 on a low/med bite track. I've never driven a mid- motor car, so I can't argue with him.

18. mbpenny

I believe we will all have a preference at the end of 2014. And always remember "20% car 80% driver"

19. Chuck M.

Chuck M. Member

I totally agree :thumbsup: